Get a Great Night’s Sleep with the Help of 3 Northwoods Retailers
Winter’s cold temperatures and decreased light make many of us want to hibernate all season long, but are you getting the quantity and quality of sleep you need? As you may already know, sleep is vital to our health and happiness. High-quality sleep helps our brains function, form memories, and learn new tasks. Sleep helps our bodies heal, build muscle, and fight diseases such as cancer. And not getting the proper amount or quality of sleep can negatively impact many aspects of our lives. According to Harvard Women’s Health Watch, a chronic sleep deficit can have the following deleterious effects:
- Weight gain, as not getting enough sleep impacts the levels of hormones that make us feel hungry and full
- Drowsiness and falling asleep in the daytime—which could create catastrophic results such as air traffic calamities, road accidents, and medical errors
- Irritability and moodiness
- Difficulty concentrating
- Cardiovascular disease—such as hypertension, increased levels of stress hormones, and irregular heartbeat
- Depressed immune function
So what can you do in order to get consistently high-quality sleep?
We cannot force ourselves to fall asleep, of course. And work and family responsibilities and other factors outside of our control impact the amount of sleep we get each night. However, in many cases, whether or not we get the proper rest is determined by our own decisions. For example, eating a heavy meal late at night, drinking alcoholic beverages, consuming caffeine late in the day, taking naps during the day, having inconsistent waking and sleeping hours throughout the week, watching television or using a smartphone or tablet at night, and vigorously exercising in the evening can decrease the likelihood of our falling and staying asleep.
But we can control other factors that impact our sleep quality. For example, creating an optimal sleeping environment facilitates our getting the rest we need.
- Choose your mattress, bed frame, bedding, and pillows wisely. Several studies have shown that bedroom environment and bed quality can affect sleep. One study showed that sleeping on a new mattress improved their sleep quality by 60% and reduced back pain by 57%, shoulder pain by 60%, and back stiffness by 59%. It is recommended that people replace their mattresses every 5 to 8 years. If it’s time for you to replace your mattress at your primary residence or second home in the Northwoods, Sleep Central, located in Minocqua, boasts knowledgeable staff and an impressive selection to provide you with a pleasant shopping experience for a mattress that meets your needs. Sleep Central also carries bedroom furniture and specializes in rustic Northwoods-style furniture so you can be sure that your bed frame and other bedroom furniture matches the peaceful cabin you’re looking for while being comfortable and built to last.
- Regulate your bedroom temperature. One study shows that bedroom temperature affected sleep quality even more than external noise did. Experiment to find a comfortable temperature for you, as people’s preferences vary. Around 70 degrees Fahrenheit is a good temperature to start. If your HVAC system is getting in the way of a good night’s rest, contact Quality Heating, Inc., in Minocqua. Quality Heating services all brands, makes, and models of heating systems and provides same-day service and 24-hour emergency service.
- Optimize bedroom environment. Minimize outside light and light from devices and make your bedroom a quiet, relaxing, clean haven. If you are looking for home decor accessories from curtains to lamps to make your bedroom a relaxing sanctuary, check out A La Carte Gifts, in Gaslight Square Shoppes in downtown Minocqua.